Do you think you are one of the 16%?
Many Canadians dream of having children of their own, but for some, the dream can seem just out of reach. If you and your partner are having trouble getting pregnant, there is hope. At First Step Fertility, we understand how difficult this time can be for you and your family, and want to assure you that you never have to go through this process alone.
Speak with your physician and get a referral.
- under 35 and have been unable to conceive after 1 year of unprotected intercourse
- over 35 and have been unable to get pregnant after 6 months of unprotected intercourse (NB: As your chances of becoming pregnant at and after the age of 35 decreases by nearly 50%, women 35 and over may choose to see a fertility specialist immediately)
If you have or have experienced the following reproductive health conditions:
- Large fibroids or moderate/severe endometriosis
- Ovulatory dysfunction, including irregular or absent periods, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), premature ovarian insufficiency, or you’ve had ovarian surgery
- Two or more miscarriages
- Pelvic/genital infections, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea
- Tubal ligation, tubal surgery, blocked tubes (one or both), or more than one ectopic
Although it may be commonly believed that infertility solely affects women, the reality is in 3 out of 10 cases the cause is related to the man. Has your partner has been experiencing:
- Abnormal semen analysis
- Undescended testicles
- A history of vasectomy or sexual dysfunction
Often, infertility is a combination of factors affecting both the man and woman.
- If you’ve recently been diagnosed with cancer, or have undergone chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- If you have been diagnosed with HIV, Hepatitis B or C
- If you have been diagnosed with a genetic condition that may be passed on to your child
First Steps Fertility offers assistance to single women interested in preserving their own fertility, single women or men interested in having their own biological child, and women or men in a same-sex relationship interesting in having their own biological child.
When you are ready to start your family, don’t leave it up to chance. The specialists at First Step Fertility are highly experienced medical professionals who will work hard to fulfill your dreams of having a baby.