Preventing Vaginal Infections
A lot of women experience bothersome vaginitis or vaginal infections at some point. Your vulva, which is the area around the entrance to your vagina can get easily irritated and inflamed. Because vaginal infections usually happen without warning, many women believe that there is nothing you can do but deal with it when it happens.
The truth is, you CAN do something more than deal with it – you can prevent it from happening! Here are some tips to help you maintain a healthy and infection-free vagina:
- Your vagina naturally cleanses itself by excreting vaginal discharge. You should avoid using douches as these products can actually upset the balance of organisms in your vagina.
- When washing your vulva, use only warm water. Make sure you dry with a clean towel.
- Avoid wearing thongs, as well as underwear in acetate, nylon, and other manmade fibers. Opt for white 100% cotton ones instead.
- When washing your underclothes, choose unscented detergents or very mild soap and rinse all the items carefully. Do not use fabric softeners.
- When you are on your period, use tampons instead of sanitary napkins as the latter can be very irritating. Of course, you also have to choose the right kind of tampon (not the deodorant variety) and use it properly. Do not leave tampons inside your vagina for extended periods avoid wearing one all night, too.
- When your vulva is irritated, avoid rubbing it with cloth after washing. You can use your blow dryer on cool setting to dry it off.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene products like feminine spray, deodorants, sanitary napkins, and talc which can irritate the vulva.
- Only use recommended vaginal moisturizers.
- Avoid petroleum-based lotions that may cause irritation and yeast infections. When used as lubricant, they can also weaken your partner’s condoms and break them.
- Visit a reputable gynecologist like Dr. Fay Weisberg from FemRenew who can provide you with safe and efficient treatments for vaginal concerns like dryness, itching, pain, odour, and painful intercourse, among others.
Know that not all vaginal infections are the same. Some home treatments can actually worsen some types of infections. That’s why if you have any concerns about your vaginal health, or if you notice any changes in your discharge or vulva, do not hesitate and reach out to us at FemRenew. Let us take care of your vaginal health and together we can prevent those dreaded infections!